In my younger years, I ate a lot of chicken burritos. The ones I had in the ’90s were more like pizza pockets than burritos, but they were still delicious and didn’t have any animal products in them. I didn’t start eating vegan until the early 2000s. I was never a vegan before that. I was a vegetarian first and then vegan second. Now, I make my own vegan burritos. But how do you make the best Vegan Burrito? You need to start with good ingredients. Here’s the best burrito I have ever made!
2 cups cooked black beans (canned or dried)
1 large avocado
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 medium sized yellow onion
1 cup diced yellow bell peppers
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced green onions
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onions and bell peppers for about 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, rice, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cheese.
- Stir well and cook for about 5 minutes, or until all the ingredients are warmed through and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and green onions and serve.