Last year I made a batch of vegan Easter buns, which I had a blast eating! They were the perfect accompaniment to our Easter dinner, although they made a bit of a mess – and I didn’t have the time to clean up afterward!
So this year, I was determined to make a more “appropriate” Easter treat. Since I wanted to make a scone, I decided to look up some ideas for vegan Easter scones.
I found a few recipes and fell in love with the idea of a vegan zesty Easter scone. I decided to play around with the basic idea of adding in some lemon zest and/or a bit of lemon juice to the basic recipe.
I was pretty happy with the results!
The scones were a bit wet, which was a bit of a surprise. I was expecting them to be a bit dryer. But, I liked the fact that they didn’t need to be baked with a greased baking pan.
I also liked that they had a nice crust, which I didn’t have to worry about.
The scones were a bit more dense and moist than I was hoping for. I was hoping that I could eat them with a bit of jam, and a bit of tea, but they were still pretty good.
I’m going to be making these again for Easter! They were delicious!
1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup vegan milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil, milk, apple cider vinegar and lemon zest and juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon the dough onto the baking sheet, leaving about 2″ between each scone.
- Using a fork, press the dough down so that it is about 1/4″ thick.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The scones should be golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the scones in half horizontally.
- Enjoy with tea or jam.